Pages

Monday 17 January 2011

Week One

Pan's Labyrinth Mask - Front view


Pan's Labyrinth Mask - Back View


Pan's Labyrinth Mask - Close Up

Pan's Labyrinth Mask in Progress


My life is crazy busy at the moment, I have a lot of college work to do as well as personal projects and the usual private life stuff. However, I'm going to take the time to make a quick post because I need the practice.

The images I posted last week are projects from my first year in college. The concept model was based on a design for a proposed new build for what is now City of Glasgow College. This is the new name of my college now that it has merged with Central College and the Glasgow College of Nautical Studies. I built this model with another student as part of a group project.

The doorway model was the last project I had for my NQ. It looks quite simple and basic but there were actually quite a lot of tricky elements in it, I was very glad once it was finished. I'm not a big fan of making architectural models.

This brings me to my pictures for this week. They are not the best quality, I'm hoping to upload better ones later but in the interest of progress I'm going to put these up as they are what I have right now. This is a theatre mask; the design was based on the movie Pan's Labyrinth. It is from a project we were given last year.

The brief was to choose a movie prop from a sci-fi, fantasy or horror movie and make a budget version for a stage adaptation. I chose Pan's Labyrinth because I love the movie. I think the mask turned out reasonably well although, if I was making it again there are things I'd do differently.  If I had time  I'd try and play around with material options a bit more, work a bit longer on the sculpt and experiment with the painting a bit more as well.  As with a lot of college projects timescale is a big factor that has a major impact on the end result.  This is why I intend on doing a lot more self-initiated projects, I believe it is the only way I'm going to properly progress my skills.

No comments: